Monday, February 13, 2012

Melton as ad pitchman


During the 1950s my father appeared in a number of print advertisements. Whether this was an attempt to bolster the family exchequer during a time of dwindling musical engagements, or an effort to keep his name and face in front of the public, I'll never know. Probably some of both. Some ad endorsements made sense, like those for Gulf Oil or Purolator Oil Filters and other car related products. But some of them were for Mayflower Movers or Murine. My mother even got into the act in an ad for FTD. I've known about these ads, and collected them largely via e-bay, over the years.

But my friend in Maine, Conway Stone, found an ad from 1935, in Popular Science magazine, which has my father endorsing Carborundum Sharpening Stones which aid in keeping his tools sharp for making the model of his boat Melody. I knew he had a scale model of the yacht, but I certainly didn't think he constructed it himself! The Melody model (whoever made it) traveled with the Meltons to California in 1936 when my father was called back to Hollywood by Warner Brothers to make "Sing Me a Love Song" and "Melody for Two."

Marjorie & James Melton with "Melody" model


1 comment:

  1. Margo
    My name is West Peterson. I am editor of Antique Automobile magazine, the official publication of the Antique Automobile Club of America. Your father was president of the club in 1951.

    I have enjoyed reading many pages of your blog about your father and his automobiles.

    I have photos of a car that your dad supposedly sold to industrial designer Brooks Stevens in the 1940s. It is a 1919 Paige Daytona speedster. Are you familiar with this car, and do you have any photos of that car when your dad owned it?
    If you like, I can e-mail photos of the car to you in its present restored condition.
    Sincerely,
    West Peterson, Editor
    Antique Automobile (AACA)

    ReplyDelete