Saturday, January 21, 2012

More about the Autorama


As a result of the historical piece about the Autorama that appeared in the Palm Beach Post back in October, I was contacted by Jim Inglis who sent me the attached photo. Here's what he wrote about it:

"The history of the signs, as I understand, is that your Dad commissioned them in 1952. He had someone (or a team of someones!) research every different make of American automobile manufactured up to that time (pre internet!!!) and had the names painted on these 2 signs at a cost of $3,000 1952 dollars!!! - probably close to the cost of a new Cadillac at the time. When the museum closed, a local car collector purchased them, and when he passed away in the '70's, the signs went to his son. The son had an auction about 7 or 8 years ago, which is when I acquired them."

I personally don't remember the signs (nor are there Autorama photos of them), but it is just exactly the sort of thing my father would have done. He was so very proud of the American automobile industry — although he collected French, German, British models as well. I'd love to know if anyone out there has any more information on these boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment